TAKE CARE OF YOUR ROOF AND IT WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU !!!
Are you aware that during a hail storm more than just your vehicles are potentially vulnerable to damage and future repairs? When hail hits, it can damage the roof or covering of your home as well as other personal property. Although hailstorms can be destructive, the amount of damage can vary greatly. Following are some factors that affect the type and degree of damage that may be impacted by a hailstorm, as well as a guide on how to identify hail damage to different types of shingles and roofing materials.
- Wind – During a hailstorm, wind direction and wind speed can vary. Changes in wind conditions can affect the location and severity of hail impacts.
- Size and density – The size of the hailstones can affect the degree of damage, if any, to your property. A hailstone can be as small as a pea, or as large as a softball. Most hailstones do not have smooth edges, which can impact the type of damage they cause.
- Building materials – Building materials absorb hail impacts differently. For example, hail can cause dings in aluminum siding, gutters or asphalt shingles, whereas it can crack vinyl siding or wood shakes. Alternatively, softball-sized hailstones can be dense enough and strong enough to puncture a roof. Additionally, the age and condition of a roof could affect the degree of damage.
- Barriers – The position of neighboring structures and natural barriers, like tree cover, landscaping, fences or adjacent homes can reduce the ability of hail to cause damage.
What Does Hail Damage to Your Roof Look Like?
Shingles can react differently when struck by hail. As an example, hail damage to asphalt and composition shingles can look very different than hail damage to wood shingles. It is important to know the different effects of the damage to properly identify whether or not you have roof damage from hail.
Asphalt and Composition Shingles Hail Damage
- Random damage with no discernable pattern.
- Hail hits that are black in color.
- Loss of granules, which may expose the roof felt.
- Asphalt and/or mat that appears shiny.
- Hail hits that are soft to the touch, like the bruise on an apple.
Wood Shingles Hail Damage
- Random damage with no discernable pattern.
- A split in the shingle that is brown/orange in color.
- A split in the shingle that has sharp corners and edges.
- A split in the shingle that has little to no deterioration at the edges.
- Impact marks or dents along the splits.
There are many other types of damage to shingles that can be mistaken for hail damage. For example, exposure to inclement weather and sunlight makes shingles brittle and gives them an aged appearance. This type of damage is normal wear and tear of shingles, which is sometimes misidentified as hail damage. Other types of normal wear and tear may include blistering, cracking, granule loss, flaking and algae. Manufacturing defects and mechanical imperfections in shingles can also be mistaken for hail damage.
If it’s time for your Houston roof replacement, please contact us for a free quote today! We offer a great financing option as well. Call us today, your local choice for quality Houston roofing services & property specialists at 346-333-7663
Houston Roofing Experts
Houston Relators, We’ve Got Your Clients Covered.
Fast Track Roofing understands that roofing can be expensive, stressful, and daunting. It is our goal to take this burden away from your clients and
Fast Track Roofing, Home of the Transferable 50-Year Warranty
Are you a Houston Homeowner? In 2021, the average American homeowner spent an average of 13.2 years in their home before moving to a new
Fast Track Roofing Earns 2022 Angi Super Service Award
HOUSTON, TX December 6, 2022 – Fast Track Roofing is proud to announce that it has earned the home service industry’s coveted Angi Super Service
Better Business Bureau Recognizes Fast Track Roofing with the 2022 Winner of Distinction Award
In recognizing businesses and non-profits for their achievements and commitment to quality in the workplace, Fast Track Roofing was one of 264 companies recognized at the
Replace Your Roof Now
Count on Fast Track Roofing to help you get the information you need to get started on installing a new roof in Houston. Roofing issues
The Best Houston Roofing Quotes
The Best Houston Roofing Quotes If your roof is leaking, don’t delay planning for repairs. Signs of moisture inside are often related to a bigger